Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention, on our last day in Ponce, we traveled a little to the city of Guanica, where we rented kayaks to paddle to Gilligan's Island (lol). Turns out Gilligan's island is a small patch of land filled almost entirely with mangroves, and is actually one of a few islands in this small clump less than a mile off the coast of the main island. So fed and I rented a kayak for a few hours, and paddled around and between the various little island. We snorkeled in the shallow water, and saw all kinds of new and beautiful sea life. One fish even swam around my leg and nibbled at it! There was a small pier too, under which TONS of fish were swimming around. They were so trusting, one of them even let me touch it! =) There were also these crazy spider/crab-like things. And the water 30 ft or so from the coast toward the sand was SO incredibly warm. I think honestly it might have been 85 degrees; it felt like a hot tub. Overall, it was just really fun and awesome. Certainly a diamond in the rough as far as tourist attractions go.

1 comment:

  1. Now that I'm reading about all your adventures I'm beginning to wonder if I ever even went to Puerto Rico! Kayaking to small islands and snorkeling? Can it get better than that? Now even Dad is starting to say he wants to go! Hugs to Nancy for me! :) XXX

    ReplyDelete