Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 7: Does tropical paradise ever get old?

I'm guessing no. Because today was another great day. Fed and I started off our morning by driving into a little downtown area of Rincon to get coffee and breakfast. Nothing particularly authentic - just breakfast burritos and coffee - but it was pretty good. From there we went to snorkel again, which is still one of my favorite things I've ever done ever. I saw many new kinds of fish, including what I think was a rainbow parrotfish, which was absolutely breathtakingly vivid. We've been hearing talks of a tropical storm heading our way, and while we were snorkeling, it started pouring rain! Which was actually pretty cool.
Not my picture, but basically I followed one of these Rainbow Parrotfish for like 10 minutes while snorkeling. If you can believe it, the one I saw was even more incredible and colorful than this one, especially from like 2 feet away the whole time!
After the beach, we came back to the hotel only to get in the pool. I think we've spent at least 20% of our time in Puerto Rico submerged in some kind of water. While in the pool, it started to pour again. The water felt so warm while the cool rain on our heads was refreshing. After the rain, we ate passion fruit that fell from the trees. Living the life. The rain also brought out a lot of cool animals.
Lizards runnin' e'rywhere after some heavy tropical rain.
These crazy worm things. This one was like 4" long. Notice the weird butt-whisker. So strange....
Our friends - Sharron, Renee, and Nick (our new roommate in the hostel who we only briefly met last night) - joined us at the pool for a little while. These cats are all really cool, and it's been nice having some extra people to hang out with, and go places with. After hanging by the pool for a while, we got ready and spent a little while relaxing at the hostel. We had dinner at Harbor Restaurant, a nearby place right on the beach. We sat outside with a view of the ocean and the ambient noise of crashing waves. I tried Acapao de Pescados. Acapao is a very Puerto Rican kind of stew; mine was with fish. I also got fried plantains on the side. Everything was very good. To top it off, I tasted almond flan, which was delicious. Very almondy, and very tasty.
Acapao de Pescados with friend plantains for dinner.
With a fancy and delicious almond flan for dessert.
We just finishing hanging out in our hotel living room talking, and preparing to visit the Rio Camuy Caves tomorrow, assuming they aren't closed from the rain. Hopefully they are not, which will make tomorrow a pretty exciting day. =)

Vacationing isn't all easy living though; here are some more first world problems I've had to deal with:
#5. I had to sleep on the beach for half an hour because I was too full from breakfast to snorkel right away.
#6. I had to get out the pool to pick fresh fruit off the ground. I was a little chilly during that time.

2 comments:

  1. You are so clever and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are serious world problems. lol You're funny. Don't forget to put yourself in some of the pics! XXX XXX

    ReplyDelete