Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 6: Making Friends

So today was a pretty interesting day. It started with a nice photoshoot on the beach in Rincon with the CLEAREST water:

The beautiful beach right outside our hotsel in Rincon.

A kid name Jacob who snorkeled around me while I took pictures. You might think that water is really shallow because of how clear it is, but it's at least a couple feet deep right there.
After I came back to our hostel, Fed and I met two girls who came to Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago, met at a hostel in San Juan, and have been traveling together since. We exchanged numbers, hoping to do some stuff with someone else for a change. Fed and I went from there to buy snorkel stuff. I also bought an underwater film camera, hoping to have some cool shots of what's under the water. We then headed toward a nearby beach, that was supposed to have good snorkeling. Before heading into the water, we ordered food from a small little place near the beach. I tried a lobster and guava & cheese empanadillas, and coconut water. Everything was delicious. Tomorrow they have shark. I'm pretty sure we're going back, and I'll take pictures.

Snorkeling was the most amazing thing ever. The water is so clear, and right off the coast are coral reefs with so many colorful fish and sea life! It's like living in the fish tank at a fancy restaurant or hotel. I bought an underwater film camera, so I'm hoping those pictures will look alright when I get them developed. But we spent at least a couple hours just swimming around, watching so many different kinds of brightly colored fish just swim about. SO awesome!

After snorkeling for a while, we went to the pool, and the girls we met came after a little while too. Also joining us was this local huy who speaks fluent english and who works at the hostel. We all just talked for a while, and he gave us fresh passion fruit to try (not the purple kind, but this yellow kind) which was great. We were asking him about places to eat, and where to find local food, and he offered to cook. So we bought groceries and he made us all a meal. It was all just really fun. I think there's certainly better food in Rincon, but the experience was really cool.
Having a home-cooked family-style meal with our new friends at the Rincon Inn.
Tomorrow we're just chilling, eating, and snorkeling, so it should be another great day. Buenos noches, amingos; hasta manana. =)

4 comments:

  1. I am salivating, not over the food but over the water (though breakfast sounded delicioso)! Again, these are postcard shots, just gorgeous. I was thinking, when you said the guy was fluent in English, how over time you will probably begin to accept less and less fluency from natives speaking English, because it can be exhausting trying to communicate in a language you don't know (though you're learning!)You've done community service already and now you're making friends! I hope the underwater shots come out well. We miss you but you make it impossible to be sad when you're having so much fun. Brandon says, "He's living my life." You know your brother: he'd never come out of the water, not even to eat! Besitos y abrazos a ti y a Fed! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! I want to be on that beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon, you are always welcome in our home!

    ReplyDelete